- ROSWELL MOVES! -
SUNDAY APRIL 26 2020
- WHAT -
ROSWELL MOVES!: An OPEN STREETS event by BIKE ROSWELL!
Roswell Moves! featuring the Bike Roswell! Mayor’s Ride and the Historic Roswell Kiwanis Kid’s Bike Safety Rodeo returns in 2020 as a community focused event that has potential to better engage general public, local businesses, etc. in a fun and ACTIVE environment. The Roswell Moves! event is focused on promoting health and wellness by giving people access to their street for human powered movement
- CANTON ST. will be open for motorized traffic no later than 4 PM
- GREEN ST. and WOODSTOCK to remain open to motorized traffic
- GOAL: No food trucks will be secured for event - goal is to allow local HRBA businesses to fill this need and capitalize on the event traffic
- Minimum outside Art/craft vendors - focus on local art galleries and shops
- Street to remain OPEN to pedestrians, bicycles and all forms of human powered traffic
- Activities up and down the street will encourage movement from south end of Canton to Webb St, Elizabeth Way, Norcross, the New East Alley, Plum St. and North Canton.
- WHEN -
EVENT HRS: 11 AM - 3 PM
Street closures are from 10AM to 4PM. Our primary goal and commitment is Canton St. will be back open for vehicular traffic no later than 4PM. Additional cycling related events to be held leading up to 4/26 events starting on 4/18.
- WHY -
Bike Roswell!’s goal is to continue Roswell’s tradition of having a signature bike related event that maintains Roswell’s reputation as a regional destination for safe cycling. Our goal for 2020 is invest proceeds from event into Roswell with bike racks, public bike repair stations, and more. In 2019 Bike Roswell! donated $4,000 directly back to the community through donations of Artistic Bike Racks and a Bike Repair Stand.
- WHERE -
Historic Roswell Canton Street Area. The closures will impact Canton Street from Magnolia/Highway 9 to Woodstock Road. Additional road closures include:
- NORCROSS STREET from CANTON STREET to HWY 9
- ELIZABETH WAY from CANTON STREET TO HWY 9
- PLUM STREET from CANTON STREET to GREEN STREET
- See general area map below
NOTE THE FOLLOWING STREETS WILL BE FULLY ACCESSIBLE DURING THE EVENT:
- GREEN STREET
- WOODSTOCK ROAD
- HIGHWAY 9
- MAGNOLIA STREET
- WEBB STREET/MIMOSA EXTENSION
ROSWELL MOVES DAY OF EVENT PARKING OPTIONS
Free opportunities for participating:
ART GALLERIES -
- organize a "first Fridays" style gallery tour. Canton street will be dedicated to pedestrians and other non motorized traffic making "tours" easier than ever Offering a free glass of wine and some cheese can help attract folks into your business. Wherever possible look to bring displays outside and closer to the street.
- art galleries partner with art groups to offer free art activities (chalk drawing, Roswell rocks rock painting, a live art demonstration from a local artist, etc.)
- bring seating down to street (we do not want to block street as we want people to be able to move freely up and down street)
- selling drinks out front -take advantage of people on street and offer beer/wine purchase out front of your establishment
- free samples of appetizer, etc. Let people try out some of your food
- offer other free activities out front in any space you have available - free cooking class (how to make a great healthy snack), cornhole, hula hoops, chalk drawing, etc
- Partner with a health focused or community focused group for an activity (Roswell Historical Society to lead Canton Street history walking tour from your Restaurant)
- bring some of your product out front for street sale, trunk sale, etc.
- invite local artisans, craft sellers, jewelry makers who are sold in your shop to attend and do live demonstrations of their work
- Test out product or make easy craft
- Hold a how to:
- How to portage a boat
- Fishing tips
- Load a boat on a car (properly tie down and secure)
- Coordinate class outside at your space, partner with restaurant or shop for free class out front of their space
- Coordinate with Bike Roswell! to lead an activity in the street such as a free class
- Partner with restaurant to hold talk/live demonstration about healthy eating, etc.
- reach out to a community group you support and schedule a special event with them - an arts group, a local running club, an animal shelter, etc. And let them setup on your property or if they need more space connect them with us and we can coordinate so they have partial use of street in front of your business
- Chalk A-frames, balloons, etc. Indicating you are open and inviting people in
- offer a free activity for people, free giveaway (all kids get a free balloon),
- bring in your own entertainment. Bands will be at far end of street (9 and Woodstock) but you can have bands as well - front porch concerts or front lawn or inside all work. If outside, let us know so we can coordinate
Bike Roswell! Contacts
Nathan Sears, Board Member, Bike Roswell!
Jackie Tyson, Public Relations, Peloton Sports
678.362.6228 or sportsPR@pelotonsports.net
STATEMENT ON POSTPONEMENT OF 2020 BIKE ROSWELL! RIDES AND EVENTS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. March 16, 2020 Due to health and safety concerns related to the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak in and around our community, the City of Roswell has postponed events through May 11th including the Bike Roswell! Mayor’s Ride and Roswell Moves! an Open Streets … Read moreSTATEMENT ON POSTPONEMENT OF 2020 BIKE ROSWELL! RIDES AND EVENTSAbout this event
Bike Roswell fundraising efforts for Robert Moore Memorial Sculpture The cycling community lost an amazing advocate and friend last April 26th. In addition to being a Bike Roswell board member, Robert Wyatt Moore was on the board of Olde Blind Dog Cycling Club and was an active volunteer for many local cycling groups. Robert was … Read moreBike Roswell fundraising efforts for Robert Moore Memorial SculptureAbout this event
Bike Roswell! Donates City’s First Bike Repair Station The next time you visit Roswell area park, you may notice something new. Bike Roswell! is proud to have worked with the City of Roswell, Georgia Government to donate the first Bike Repair Station which was installed recently at Riverside Park near the restrooms and existing bike racks. … Read moreBike Roswell! Donates City’s First Bike Repair StationAbout this event
Guest Author Jennifer Dawson Jennifer Dawson is a freelance writer who left her day job to pursue a more free and passionate life. When not writing, she loves to cycle and hike in the great outdoors with her family Distracted Driving Can Be Lethal For Cyclists In the US, more than a thousand people … Read moreDistracted Driving can be Lethal for CyclistsAbout this event